[avr-chat] avrdude: Windows COM Ports Above COM4

From: Richardson, Anthony
Subject: [avr-chat] avrdude: Windows COM Ports Above COM4
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 09:30:02 -0500

I recently got an Arduino Decimila board and have been playing
with it.  I'm doing development under XP.

When I connected the board to the computer it was automatically
assigned to COM10.  The Arduino IDE is able to upload
programs to the board without any problems.  I can also
communicate with the board using Hyperterminal on COM10.

In trying to upload programs using avrdude directly however, I get
an error.  Here is the command line I am using:

  avrdude -V -F -p atmega168 -P COM10 -c stk500v1 \
            -b 19200 -U flash:w:applet/Hello_World.hex

and here is the error I get:

  avrdude.exe: ser_open(): can't open device "COM10": \

If I manually reassign the board to COM4 and just change the
port option in the avrdude command line from COM10 to COM4,
the upload works fine.  The Arduino IDE and Hyperterminal
still work too and I can live with using COM4.  I would like
to have the flexibility of using one of the higher numbered
COM port numbers though.  My guess is that avrdude is having
trouble using anything other than COM1-COM4 (I've only tested
COM4 and COM10 however).  I'm a little confused because I
thought that the Arduino IDE used avrdude (hidden underneath
the IDE) to upload programs to the board and the IDE is able
to upload to COM10 without any problems.

I am using the avrdude that is distributed with the
Arduino IDE (in /arduino-0011/hardware/tools/avr/bin).

So, am I missing something when I try to use avrdude
to upload over COM10?

Thanks
Tony Richardson