[avr-chat] AVRdude timeouts with CKDIV8 and 4MHz internal on t2313

From: Johannes Bauer
Subject: [avr-chat] AVRdude timeouts with CKDIV8 and 4MHz internal on t2313
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 19:10:39 +0100

Hello list,

I just wanted to ask if anyone else has trouble with avrdude the way I
do: I have some tiny2313s which are preprogrammed with the CKDIV8 fuse
and additionally have the 4MHz internal oscillator active. When I try to
do anything with them using avrdude, the very first handshake (device
signature) fails. Sometimes the first two bytes arrive OK, but the third
is garbled, sometimes all bytes are trash. I do not remember the exact
values I got, however.

When I enter Ponyprog I can program the devices fine. When I tell it to
set the fuses to use an external crystal (slow rising power, no CKDIV)
the device can be accessed just fine from avrdude also.

Programmer: STK200
Cable length: around 20cm
OS: Linux joelaptop 2.6.26.1 #9 PREEMPT Sat Dec 27 01:33:46 CET 2008
i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1400MHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
AVRDude: Version 5.5 (Gentoo package dev-embedded/avrdude-5.5)

If it is helpful to provide the exact output or more debugging info, I
can flash back the fuses to the 4MHz osc. in order to reproduce the problem.

Kind regards,
Johannes