Re: [avr-chat] Reprise: AVR Studio under VirtualBox, anyone?

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Reprise: AVR Studio under VirtualBox, anyone?
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 19:50:48 -0400

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
I think some of your problems could have
been avoided by using the "regular"/Gnome
version of Ubuntu ...

Well, darn. I tried Ubuntu once, but it seemed large, heavy and slow so I switched to Xubuntu to get a lighter system to which I could add just what I needed.

Forgive me, but why don't you want to let
GRUB take control ?

This is because of my present solution to the problem of multiple versions of AVR Studio. I have multiple disk partitions with Windows XP on them. One is activated, the others just run to the end of the 30 day grace period and die. So, I frequently re-install Windows XP and load up whichever version of AVR Studio I need. Every time I do that, I would mess up GRUB. It's just easier to let NT Loader have its way and use it to boot GNU/Linux (well, actually, boot GRUB which then boots GNU/Linux). This is not at all hard to do. You just copy GRUB stage 1 off the first sector of the boot partition into a file, move that to the Windows C: drive and add C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Linux" to the end of boot.ini.

I don't know what driver is installed by default
in Xubuntu.

The ATI proprietary driver. The configuration tool is also ATI. I will take a look at the alternatives you gave. Thanks for your interest in this, Vincent.

Graham.