Re: [avr-chat] Dragon: mega slow at dumping Flash, normal ?

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Dragon: mega slow at dumping Flash, normal ?
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 23:50:23 +0200

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 07:26:17 -0500
David Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:

> You insist on programming in ISP mode, doesn't your AVR have JTAG
> mode? (Generally JTAG has to be enabled from ISP.)
>
> Anyway, the device programs quickly in JTAG, thats the only mode I
> use once the part has been initialized.

Update !
David, I have just converted one of my prototypes from ISP to JTAG this
evening, and WOW ! Terminal mode is now super fast with the Dragon,
dumping the flash is blazing fast ! :-) And maybe more
important/useful: I have done a programming test, and with JTAG the
Dragon can program the target very fast, about 6 times faster than
using ISP (regardless of programmer type and clock speed).
My 12.5KB program is now programmed in 0.98s versus 6.22 using ISP !
Reading back/verifying is also faster, 3 times faster: 1.17s vs 3.46s !

So all is well then.. I am finally happy with my Dragon. Was worth the
trouble of importing it (thanks for easing the pain, Graham ! ;-),
gives mes the sort of performance I was expecting.

Sorry for the noise and have a good week-end ! ;-)

--
Vince, les Dragons c'est bon...