Re: [avr-chat] linker builds file too big, is it a bug?

From: Bernard Fouché
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] linker builds file too big, is it a bug?
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:51:17 +0100

Le 11/02/2011 13:25, Massimiliano Cialdi a écrit :
I know that .data is to be considered belonging to sram, but its initial
image is hold in flash, and according to my opinion this fact must be
take into account, otherwise the binary may not work (as happened to my
real project)

I ran into the same problem a few weeks ago (gcc 4.3.3 / binutils 2.19) and I agree with you, the linker should test the size of .text + the size of .data. Currently the linker reports an error only if the size of .text is bigger than the target flash space. However avrdude catches the error when it looks at the .hex file being programmed but earlier detection would be more efficient.

  Bernard