Re: [avr-chat] Debugging an xmega with the AVR Dragon

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Debugging an xmega with the AVR Dragon
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:10:02 -0400

David L. Martin wrote:

AVR1012 has the recommended RESET circuitry explained out.
I would suggest reviewing that.

Thank you for this suggestion (although, see below). This document states that when PDI is in use, the reset pullup should be 10 kohms or weaker or removed altogether. Of the three different recommendations I've found in three different Atmel documents, this offers the broadest range of options and is the one I'm most apt to follow (but, see below). So, I plan to use the same policy as I have been using for mega AVRs, which is to say a pullup resistor in the range of 50 to 200 kohms, depending on what's to hand, and no capacitor.

I added a 150 kohm pullup at RESET to my circuit and re-checked the response time of the debugger. It was unchanged. So, it seems that the pull-up does not help and the rather slow response (several seconds) is a characteristic of the AVR Dragon in PDI mode.

My interest in this actually goes a little beyond the project I am working on. I am wondering whether I should introduce an xmega version of my Dragon Rider 500. This would give people without the capability to handle surface-mount microcontrollers a chance to play with the xmega's interesting features. But, this would fall flat if it turns out that PDI on the Dragon is intolerably slow. I will have to see how the response time changes as the program size grows. Indications are that there is a fixed overhead, but program load is pretty fast, which may be OK.

Regarding the xmega applications notes, these seem to me to have been written out of an obligation to have such documents rather than in a sincere attempt to help the reader. Most just paraphrase sections of the data sheet and then tell you to go read the data sheet for the rest. There are a couple of useful checklists, but also harmful stuff such as invented and inconsistent terminology. I would recommend anyone learning the xmega to stick with the data sheet, which is very good.

In particular, AVR1012 is a mix of reasonable suggestions and rubbish. The section on the Crystal Oscillator talks about "biasing capacitors", so the author obviously doesn't know what he's writing about. The section on Power Supply Connections is ridiculous and should not be followed (except for 100 nF at each VCC pin, which we all know anyway). A ferrite bead is not enough to isolate the digital and analog supplies. There is no point in having a 10 uF polarized capacitor on both sides of a ferrite bead as the bead has no impedance at frequencies at which the capacitors are effective. The 10 uH inductor will make it harder for the regulator to keep the supply under control if there are load transients. I would advise people to follow good engineering practice, rather than this document, which is to say the correct design depends on what you're doing.

Graham.