Re: [avr-chat] Urgent clock-related questions

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Urgent clock-related questions
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 23:18:23 -0400

Rick Mann wrote:

I only need [the system clocks] to be "accurate enough" to do USB and serial reliably .... So I'm putting in a MHz crystal and it should be fine.

Yes, this will be fine. The following is for information only and I'm not suggesting you deviate from your plan, but you can meet your goals with no crystal at all. Synchronize the 32 MHz oscillator to the USB start-of-frame and run it at 48 MHz to drive the USB sub-system. Then, synchronize the 2 MHz oscillator to the 32.768 kHz internal oscillator and use the PLL to multiply by 16 to get a 32 MHz CPU and peripheral clock. This will be accurate enough for UARTs because the 32.768 kHz internal oscillator is factory calibrated and is fairly stable with temperature and voltage. Again, this is just so that you know that this is possible (I have done exactly this) but I'm not suggesting you do it. Your plan with the external crystal is fine, probably better.

Graham.