Re: [avr-chat] Building ASF with GCC?

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Building ASF with GCC?
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 11:17:31 -0500

On Apr 9, 2013, at 10:22 PM, Rick Mann <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2013, at 11:59 , Pierce Nichols <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I share your general frustration with this.
>>
>> In your particular error, the problem is that you are not defining the
>> mcu type in the makefile. avr/io.h relies on this definition in order
>> to select the particular version of io.h required. You need to add
>> -mmcu=<mcu type> to your CFLAGS.
>
> Thanks, Pierre. Those are the kinds of instructions that would be useful for
> them to put somewhere.

Sadly it seems ASF is very AS6-oriented so details AS6 handles "magically" are
not documented very well. I am not a fan of "magic". I like Makefiles. An
example Makefile might have saved Rick a lot of grief.

As an experiment I tried upgrading my project from ASF 3.1.x to 3.5.x and 3.7.x
and got lost in new errors and warnings. Fortunately kept a backup but can't
explore the new stuff until more important things get done.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden