avr-gcc-list

[avr-gcc-list] Object files in AVR studio

From: Valéry Florimond \(Thought Technology Ltd\)
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Object files in AVR studio
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 15:20:07 -0400

What I am working with:
    - Micro: Atmega128 in Atmega103 mode or in native mode
    - AVR-GCC: AVRfreaks distribution
    - both Assembler and C used in the same project
    - OS: Win2k
    - Debug tools: AVR Studio + JTAG ICE

Hi,

I am using AVR Studio with JTAG ICE and like Ted (message: [avr-gcc-list]
coff files in avr studio... ,Tue, 2 Apr 2002 ), I have been having trouble
with coff files in AVR Studio.

If I directly program my device using a serial device programmer, my
firmware works fine. I tested it (I implemented a debug protocol using the
uart that allows me to do advanced tests).
If I use the OBJ file and I let the JTAG programs my device,  it works fine
too. I can also use the debugger, the cursor goes to the correct line (on
single step and on breakpoint), except the fact I cannot watch the variables
(well known problem).
If I use the COFF file, the cursor does not go to the correct line and I met
the issues that Ted described. After few more tests, I figured out that the
firmware loaded in the device did not seem to be correct too. The device did
not work as it should be. So, I think the cursor cannot point to the correct
line because the code running into the device does not fit with the source
code.
Maybe I am wrong, so if somebody met the same issue and found a way to
bypass it, he/she is welcome!

thanks

Valery

avr-gcc-list at http://avr1.org