avr-gcc-list

Re: [avr-gcc-list] efficient Timer Interrupts

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] efficient Timer Interrupts
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:37:10 +0200 (MET DST)

As Torsten Hahn <address@hidden> wrote:

>The problem for me is, that using an extern (ram) var as a counter
>consumes much processor cycles (loading the var from ram,
>decrementing, write back). Is there a better (faster) solution ?

If you can sacrifice a register for it globally, you can use

register foobar asm("r2");

This might lead to a pessimisation in the remaining code.  Also, if
your code consists of multiple source modules, you need to tell this
in each of them so the compiler won't accidentally reassign this
register for something else.

Note that registers 0 and 1 are required for internal gcc use.