avr-gcc-list

RE: [avr-gcc-list] RFC gcc multiple memory space implementation

From: Ebert, Rolf
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] RFC gcc multiple memory space implementation
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:35:40 +0200

Svein E. Seldal writes:
SES> I think the [gcc] community has to decide if we are to get our
SES> own keyword _X or that we have to use an __attribute__ to do
SES> the same thing.

SES> My general impression is that GCC has a tendency towards using
SES> attributes over _Keywords and #pragma's. We'll see.

For C the _Keyword notation looks more natural, than __attribute__.  Even if
it will be implemented as __attribute__, some preprocessor circuitry can
make it look like _Keyword for the programmer. So that is not the issue.

I am all in favor of __attribute__.  gcc also supports other languages
(avr-ada.sf.net) that might profit from your extension.  The Ada front-end
already has support for __attribute__ (pragma Machine_Attribute).  Adding
memory space support in C using __attribute__ gives the solution to Ada for
free!

    Rolf

    Rolf