avrdude-dev

AW: Moving avrdude to Git ?

From: greuelm
Subject: AW: Moving avrdude to Git ?
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 19:14:36 +0100

> > PS : You're maybe "alone" in the project because the official repo is
> > not on GitHub !
>
> I'm not so sure about that.
>
> What I really don't need is people sending more pull requests. It took me
years
> to find the time and energy to process the already existing patches (which
is
> roughly the equivalent of a pull request). What it really needs is people
who are
> willing to work on all those requests and reported issues, review the
patches, try
> and test them, suggest what needs to be done before they are acceptable.

It is certainly too much work for a single person, and I really do
appreciate that you are donating your spare time to keep avrdude alive!

Speaking of testing, I was wondering what kind of tests you do. As there is
nothing in the repo I assume its all manual? Looking at the sheer amount of
programmer and devices, it cries out for automation to create some relief
here. Do you have any thoughts on this?

One thing I did while adding WinUSB support to libusb was packet tracing,
and doing a simple actual vs. expected compare. I am wondering if one could
create some I/O level (serial, usb, hid) test adapters and record from a
known good system, do a replay/compare for automated testing and then stick
the whole thing into a CI pipeline. I haven't thought this through,
though...