[Axiom-developer] RE: porting Axiom

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: porting Axiom
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:16:30 -0500

Tim,

No, I have not tried to build the latest version
on Windows yet. I have only built it under Linux
Red Hat 8.0.

I wasn't planning to use the M$ VC++ compiler since it
seemed both possible and perhaps make more sense to
remain entirely within the "free software" environment
by using MSYS/MinGW. I think this will minimize the C
language compatibility issues and also take advantage
of the growing expertise available on porting to
Windows in this community.

I am very interested in the work going on in porting
GCL to windows. Mike Thomas has produced a very slick
installation package for GCL 2.5 on windows using the
free Innosetup package

  http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

which has apparently also been used for Maxima. I think
this would be very nice way to install the "run time"
version of Axiom (once we get to that stage).

Anyway, over the next few days (or at most, weeks) I
will be trying to build your latest Axiom under Windows
(probably using GCL 2.5 if that isn't a big deal) and
with MSYS/MinGW. MSYS allows one to build applications
directly under Windows (no cross compile).

Wine is a "windows-like" environment under Linux intended
mostly for doing things like running Microsoft Office
(shudder) under Linux. It sounds like asking for trouble
to try to use this environment to build Linux apps using
a Microsoft compiler.