[Axiom-developer] axiom names and lisp names

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] axiom names and lisp names
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:47:58 -0400

Tim,

How do I translate from the axiom name of a variable
to the lisp name? What I would like to do (maybe you
can do it faster?) is use our simple example where

  pgr:=MonoidRing(...)

  p:pgr:=1

  q:pgr:=1

  (p=q)::Boolean
       false

fails. And follow this by something like

  )lisp (equal p q)
  )lisp (eql p q)
  )lisp (eq p q)

but of course I need to know the real lisp names for
p and q.

BTW, I notice that

  (p=1)::Boolean
     false

but

  p-q
      0

and even

  p-1
      0

I still think this points at a failure in the underlying
lisp equality (or maybe the Equation constructor algebra).