[Axiom-developer] Re: tgz, mnt, and file download

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: tgz, mnt, and file download
Date: 01 Sep 2003 21:22:13 -0400

Tim,

Ok, I have got rid of the stable/axiom ... tgz directory and
file. The file was about 44 Mbytes in size. How large is the
actual tgz for Axiom mnt? And I also uploaded another file
in my "depends" set of Perl scripts to produce an input file
for vcg.

About uploading and managing files. This is from a message that
I sent earlier today but which seems to have gone off into the
blue. I have made a couple insertions to give you exactly the
rsync commands that I just tested online. As I said,getting the
naming just right can be a little tricky so it is best to have
examples that actually worked.

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 16:51, Bill Page wrote:
> Tim,
>
> ... [other things about cvs and patches]
>
> About uploading and managing files in the files section.
> The basic information is at
> https://savannah.gnu.org/faq/?group_id=11&question=How_do_I_add_files_in_the_download_area.txt
>
> but there is an error in the example. It says:
>
>   For example, using rsync:
>   cd /opt/myproject/download
>   scp -1 myfile address@hidden:/upload/myproject
>
> but the example is using scp not rsync! It is possible to use scp
> but I found it rather awkward and furthermore you can't use scp
> to delete files. rsyn is much better.
>
> rsync is rather like a simplified CVS. What it does is to keep
> two directories, usually one remote and one local, in "sync" i.e.
> it copies files from the "source" directory to the "target"
> directory (and sub-directories if you say so) in an attempt to
> make them the same with a mimimum amount of data transfer.
>
> rsync access to Savannah uses the same secure ssh protocol as
> developer access to the CVS. You cat add
>
>   export RSYNC_RSH=ssh
>
> to .bashrc or you can specify --rsh=ssh on the command line.
>
> I setup a directory called uploads to hold the things I want
> to upload (or download) from the Savannah files section.
> Then
>
> 1) rsync --rsh=ssh --recursive
> address@hidden:/upload/axiom ~/uploads
>
> will copy all the files from Savannah to your uploads directory.
> Of course use your own user name instead of billpage1.
>
> 2) rsync --rsh=ssh --recursive ~/uploads
> address@hidden:/upload/axiom

The command above is slightly wrong. It results in uploading
duplicate files into a sub-directory called 'axiom' into
savannah.nongnu.org:/upload/axiom. Not good!

Actually the correct command is

$ cd ~/uploads/axiom
$ rsync -z -v --rsh=ssh --recursive . address@hidden:/upload/axiom

Notice the cd command to the source directory and the use of
. (dot) as the source name.

This transfers and/or updates all of the files and sub-directories
in the local ~/uploads/axiom to the right place on savannah.

> will transfer from your uploads directory to the axiom files
> directory on Savannah.
>
> The naming of the directories and files in the upload directory
> is very important because Savannah expects a particular naming
> scheme to make things appear on the file list. For example, the
> file that I uploaded has the following name
>
>   ~/uploads/axiom/algebra_depends.pkg/1.0.0/algebra_depends-1.0.0.tar.gz
>
> On the Savannah file list it appears with the heading
>
>   algebra_depends
>
> and sub-heading
>
>   1.0.0
>
> (Don't forget the .pkg in the first subdirectory!) If you don't use
> this naming convention, the files are still uploaded but they may
> not appear in the list.
>
> To delete files:
>
> 3) First make sure you have an up to date copy of all the
> files in the Axiom file section in your *local* uploads
> directory, including the file(s) you want to delete. If
> necessary use step 1) above
>
> 4) Then delete selected files (and/or directorys) from your
> local uploads directory.
>
> 5) Finally use a command like step 2) except include the
> --delete option
>
>    rsync --rsh=ssh --recursive --delete ~/uploads
> address@hidden:/upload/axiom

Again I made a little mistake in the naming. The right
command is

$ cd ~/uploads/axiom
$ rsync -z -v --rsh=ssh --recursive --delete . address@hidden:/upload/axiom