[Axiom-developer] TeXmacs and Axiom prompt

From: axiom
Subject: [Axiom-developer] TeXmacs and Axiom prompt
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:10:51 -0500

Bill,

France, eh? Beware the heat. I was unable to send email from france
due to the keyboard, windows, and lack of emacs.  I spent the weekend
getting my ADSL up and running. I had to use a Windows XP box to do
the initial registration but it now runs under Linux just fine. (It
was really amusing because the windows box got a worm hit within 1
minute of coming online and I had to reinstall windows to recover). I
should be able to use CVS much more effectively now.

Axiom normally runs as a subprocess of "sman" (aka superman). The
axiom command actually starts sman which forks off clef (command line
editor facility (our version of GNU readline)), interpsys, hypertex,
graphics, etc. When that happens "Axiom" puts up a second prompt using
a new frame (frames are axiom namespaces). The dual prompt is actually
a bug that was never fixed and hardened into the final code.

TeXmacs is the proper place to put any fixes for running Axim as a
subprocess. You might ask Joris if he agrees. If not we can "host"
the TeXmacs C code.