Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Texmacs-dev] New tm_axiom.c & question on std

From: Mike Dewar
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Texmacs-dev] New tm_axiom.c & question on stderr
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:12:16 +0100

Hi Bill,

There seems to be a misconception that the NAG version of Axiom puts out
two prompts on startup while the Open version puts out one.  This is not
actually true: the Axiom interpreter (invoked via the command `AXIOMsys'
in the NAG version, and presumably via `axiom' in your version) only
puts out one prompt: the reason you can see two is that sman (the
"Superman" process that manages communication between the interpreter,
hyperdoc, browser, graphics etc.) causes the interpreter to start a new
frame, which forces a new prompt (you can do the same by typing ")frame
new foo").  Once Tim gets sman working the Open version will presumably
work in the same way.  So your new tm_axiom ought to work the same way
with both versions if they are invoked in the equivalent way.

I haven't seen the TeXmacs interface to Axiom but we used to maintain a
TeX-based interface under Windows (based on IBM's TechExplorer) and it
had lots of nice features - a TeX version of the browser, the ability to
execute worksheets etc.  Some of this code was embedded in the front-end
but the browser code, for example, was all in boot.  The main file in
question was br-saturn.boot ("saturn" was IBM's pre-release name for
TechExplorer) and we also used the $saturn variable to test whether we
were in TechExplorer or not in a few places (this was so we could use
the same CCL image files for both the TechExplorer and shell interfaces
of Axiom under Windows).  It might be worth somebody trying to resurrect
this code - the only hitch I can foresee is that we added a grep command
to CCL (coded in C) since Windows doesn't have a grep program, but you
can always spawn off a system command under Unix (which is what the
original IBM version of Axiom did) to get the same result.

Mike.