Re: address@hidden: RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] New design for

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] New design for Axiom web site]
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:08:44 -0400

Juergen,

I looked at the idea of including the ENV information directly into
the lower level Makefiles rather than passing it down the make chain.
The problem is that the make chain sets up more than just the shell
variable environment. The parent makefile ensures that the required
target directories exist and that all other subdirectories are up
to date. If you try to invoke make in a subdirectory the results are
uncertain.

If you want to try this you could, though I don't recommend, put the
ENV variables in your shell and then invoke make. According to plan
the use of {} around the variables allows them to be overridden by
shell variables.

I have a scheme with will allow you to type:
make PART=algebra
(where algebra is any one of the subdirectories).
This will force the make chain to walk the direct
path to the named subdirectory. This should achieve what you want.
I'll put it on the TODO list.