[Axiom-developer] Re: readline and axiom

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: readline and axiom
Date: 28 Oct 2003 12:03:18 -0500

Greetings!

There is a small weakness in our current readline support which could
be addressed straightforwardly if/when I get a moment.  The way it is
now, the readline library must be initialized at runtime via the lisp
command:

(si::init-readline)

The gcl wrapper script should eval this for you automatically, but it
is likely that axiom users will have to escape to lisp and run this
command unless we get something more robust implemented.  On maxima,
this looks like

:lisp (si::init-readline)

In addition, our readline code will probe the running terminal, and
skip readline initialization if the controlling terminal is not
readline capable, e.g. an emacs shell buffer, and ilisp emacs
interface to gcl, etc.  Here is the existing code for this test:

        if (!isatty(0))
           return;

        if ((cp=getenv("TERM")) && !strcmp(cp,"dumb"))
           return;

Bill, you have access to linux too, no?  Would be nice if you could
report any readline functionality differences between the to ports, if
any.

Take care,