[Axiom-developer] RE: readline and axiom

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: readline and axiom
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:29:31 -0500

Camm,

On Tuesday, October 28, 2003 12:03 PM you wrote:

> ... readline library must be initialized at runtime via
> the lisp command:
>
> (si::init-readline)
>
> The gcl wrapper script should eval this for you automatically,
> but it is likely that axiom users will have to escape to lisp
> and run this command unless we get something more robust
> implemented.

Ok, that's clear. Can we still do something like pass an
-eval '(si::init-readline)' option to GCL when we startup
the Axiom image? And expect it to be executed before the
first prompt?

But Tim also suggests the use of .axiom.input. I guess
that would be ok if it was automatically installed.

> Bill, you have access to linux too, no?

Yes. In fact for the moment I am primarily working with
linux. (I can only take the frustrations of trying to
force Axiom to live with Windows for short periods...)

> Would be nice if you could report any readline functionality
> differences between the to ports, if any.

Well, I did observe that when I start GCL 2.6.1 on windows,
I don't have to do anything to start readline. So I guess
the (si::init-readline) got executed somehow but it is not
in the GCL.BAT startup file.

I'll let you know more once I actually see it work
under Linux.

Cheers,