Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: libaldor

From: Mike Dewar
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: libaldor
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:28:24 +0000

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 06:58:19PM +0100, address@hidden
wrote:
> >> How was libaxiom.al produced?
>
> > I no longer remember exactly. But Aldor can generate .c files which
> > get compiled to .o files. I believe these are boxed up into a .a
> > library using ar.
>
> That is correct. My question was directed to the sources. There must
> be some .as files somewhere which where used to produce libaxiom.a.
> >From them I could perhaps make a link and a corresponding description
> available. At least I would like to have a look into it to see how
> much work it would be.
libaxiom.al is a "mock" library to allow you to compile Aldor code which
will run inside Axiom.  It contains equivalent definitions of all the
Axiom types which IIRC are created by first making Axiom generate ".ax"
files for each Axiom constructor, then converting those to ".ao" files
using Aldor, then making them into a library using "ar".  The ".ax"
files contain Lisp representations of the signatures of the
constructor's exports.  All the code for doing this was in the src/as
directory I sent to Tim when we open-sourced Axiom.

> > The algebra connection is a fluffier subject
>
> Since I don't need the axiom algebra, the connection to algebra
> domains is not so important (at least not at the moment). Anyway, I
> guess that connection from my private types to axiom algebra types is
> just a matter of data conversion. I would do this when I see need for
> it.
If you want to run your code inside Axiom then you just need to compile
against libaldor and )lib it.

We did some experiments with running Aldor code in a "clean" Axiom
interpreter (i.e. one with no algebra and no databases).  This didn't
really work because the interpreter code is riddled with assumptions
about the existence of particular constructors and operations.  It could
probably be made to work with a bit of effort however.

Mike.

http://www.star.net.uk