[Axiom-developer] Some links on Matroids

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Some links on Matroids
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:42:12 +0100

Hello,

I've googled a little to know more about Matroids that were underlined
by Bertfried Fauser in a recent email (point g in
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2003-12/msg00064.html).

Apparently, the reference for Matroids is:
  http://members.aol.com/matroids/

The most simple explanation that I have found is:
  http://www.ms.uky.edu/~pagano/Matridx.htm

The MathWorld definition: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Matroid.html

[ Usual disclaimer: I'm not a mathematician, blah blah ]

>From what I have understood, Matroids has several definitions, the most
frequent being related to set theory. Apparently, Matroids can be
related to graph theory and matrices.

However, I've not found a simple explanation on how a Matroid can help
us classify information resulting from Axiom source code. In fact,
Bertfried first email is more clear that all the explanations that I
have found. Bertfried, could you give me some more insights on the use
of Matroids to classify dependent and indepent Axiom information?

Yours,
david
--
David MENTRE <address@hidden> -- http://www.nongnu.org/axiom/