[Axiom-developer] Re: Scintilla GUI

From: Tim Daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Scintilla GUI
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:12:54 -0500

Craig,

>I produced a GUI for my new 'Tope' symbolic algebra solver that solves
>linear logic problems, e.g (Exists x)(a<x<b) <--> (a<b).

Tope looks interesting. I'll see if I can find a windows box to
try it out. We've had some discussion locally about "provisos"
and the "algebra of provisos". Provisos are those statements
that hang on the end of an expression such as:

  1/x provided x!=0

Perhaps Tope would be useful here.

>I use the Scintilla DLL which provides the cursor and text features
>that their text editor needs. I used the GWindows Ada 95 bindings to
>Scintilla. That binding would be eliminated since GWindows won't
>run in Linux. It is a thin binding and not much is used.
>
>http://www.scintilla.org/
>http://www.adapower.com/
>
>A Windows .EXE file "Tope" implementing my Scintilla GUI:
>http://www.ijs.co.nz/code/ada95_symbolic_algebra_polytope_logic.zip
>
>(If wishing to see how to compile it then get this:
>http://www.ijs.co.nz/code/ada95_adagoop_parser.zip )
>
>The code is for n-D polytopes so there may never be a time when I
>need more than a GUI-ized line by line interface.
>
>My Tope's GUI is a bit like this: http://www.jsoftware.com/
>(pressing ENTER on text would copy it to the bottom, and Scintilla
>provides read-only text marking the ends.)
>
>I suppose that this message allows a much better estimate on how much
>work is involved if Scintilla is used. A main problem was that I
>didn't see how to intercept ENTER, Ctrl-UpArrow, LeftArrow, before
>Scintilla found out about them.

I've never heard of Scintilla but I'll look at your references.

>Sometimes people show up and recommend Java and Tcl/Tk. I am sure
>that Scintilla would be a better choice.
>
>I am not subscribed to your mailing lists. I partly write to
>discourage use of Tcl/Tk and Java(TM) and other inferior options.

We are looking at Tcl/TK at the moment as we have a user interface
from the Magnus project available (it was done in Tcl/TK). I personally
don't care for it but it has the advantage of being running code.

>Craig Carey
>Auckland, New Zealand

Tim Daly
address@hidden