[Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom Installation

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom Installation
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:41:08 -0500

Renaud,

>I finally resigned installing Axiom at my office machines because I have no
>root priviledges and this is a mess. Among the problems I had, I remember
>noweb installation which requires root proviledges to run texhash in the
>install part of noweb. You could change the line
>
>        -texhash || echo "Program texhash not found or failed"
>
>in the obj/noweb/src/Makefile to
>
>        -texhash $(TEXINPUTS) || echo "Program texhash not found or failed"
>
>in order to only change the directory which is under axiom's control.
>
>I thus decided to install my new laptop which has some disk space and, as of
>now, I have no major problem. I run RedHat 9 on my laptop.

I'll have to look at what texhash does. I know there is another lurking
issue (how to put the axiom.sty file someplace where tex can find it)
that needs to be addressed and I believe that texhash will solve the problem.
I'll look into this and get back to you.

>Just one point, I took the habit (for readabilty) to name directories with
>uppercases first letters designating words as in Axiom, this yield to some
>problems when compiling axiom. I had to make symbolic links in order to have
>things work.

The case sensitive issue was addressed by Juergen Weiss a few months ago.
I've been remiss in adding it for no obvious reason. Anyway it's been
applied, tested, and added to the CVS (thanks, Juergen). . So now Axiom's
pathnames should not be case sensitive.

Is it possible to get an electronic version of your reclos paper?
I'd like to read it.