Re: [Axiom-developer] Possible switch from CVS to GNU Arch

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Possible switch from CVS to GNU Arch
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:02:26 -0500

Well, the big news seems to be that you switched email addresses.
Or somebody is posing as you.

No news yet. Gnu-arch compiled cleanly. I put it on several machines
and it installed without a problem. I'm slowly reading the docs and
trying each of the commands. I have an archive up on one machine
which I'm populating at the moment.

Opinion? Well, CVS works to keep things archived, it is standard on
savannah so I'm stuck with it there. However it forces a single
point-of-development model and requires me to do detailed bookkeeping.
I've already hosed the master site twice by failing to upload a changed
file. Hopefully Gnu-arch will cure two of the three problems. I'll still
have to export to CVS for savannah but Camm should be able to make
changes in the gnu-arch tree for GCL-native socket support and send it
in as one "changeset" (fixing single-point-of-development). And it
should cure the missing file issue since everything gets bundled as a
changeset (fixing the missing file upload issue).

Further, I have a few "parallel" projects with various people (for
example I want to explore the coerce code with Nicolas) so I want
separate trees with experimental code without breaking the master tree.
Gnu-arch appears to have a better merge model.

So I'm on the learning curve at the moment. Linus uses bitkeeper for
Linux because he faced the same issues so if it works for him it should
work for me. But, as you point out, bitkeeper has a non-free license
and, if free works, why bother?