[Axiom-developer] gnu-arch

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] gnu-arch
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:48:14 -0500

I have several efforts on Axiom in process at the same time.
None of these efforts can show up in the savannah tree because
they break the build for our normal "customers".

We need a development tool so we can work on new ideas and allow
them to proceed in parallel. To that end I've been investigating
Gnu-arch. Gnu-arch allows you to "pull" a copy of a particular
subproject, work on it locally, and submit a "changeset" which
is a series of patches collected into one.

I've succeeded in setting up the main project. I'm still working
on the details of how to create subversions of this project. You
can get Gnu-arch and play with it if you like. The latest build
I have is tla-1.1.tar.gz from the gnu-arch website. You can get
up to speed by the following steps:

(download tla-1.1.tar.gz)
tar -zcf tla-1.1.tar.gz
cd tla-1.1/src
mkdir =build
cd =build
../configure --prefix /usr/local
make
make install

tla my-id "Your Name <address@hidden>"
tla register-archive address@hidden http://axiom.tenkan.org/current
tla make-archive --mirror-from address@hidden address@hidden
tla archive-mirror address@hidden
tla my-default-archive address@hidden
tla get axiom--release--1 axiom
cd axiom

Notes:

tla is the only executable. All commands are parameters to tla.

tla my-id has a standard format "Your Name <address@hidden>"

tla register-archive says that the name "address@hidden"
    should resolve to "http://axiom.tenkan.org/current"; which is where
    the current version of Axiom resides (for developers). The current
    stable customer version will be on savannah.

tla make-archive says that when you ask for "address@hidden"
    you want it copy the Gnu-arch project tree to "address@hidden"

tla archive-mirror does a network copy from "address@hidden" to
    "address@hidden"

tla my-default-archive "address@hidden" says that all commands
    are assumed to refer to this archive by default.

tla get reaches into "axiom--release--1" (which is hiding in
    "address@hidden" in gnu-arch form) and expands it into the
    directory "axiom".

cd axiom will get you to where the source resides.

As for further details, well, I'm still reading the docs.
If you're interested in tracking one of the various subprojects
you might want to try this example.

Let me know if you succeed or fail.

Tim Daly
address@hidden