[Axiom-developer] address@hidden: Patch to produce the book in the ${MNT

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] address@hidden: Patch to produce the book in the ${MNT}/${SYS}/doc directory]
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:59:38 -0500

>By the way, Tim, I think it would be useful to produce a PDF file which
>is the defacto standard for documentation. We have several options:
>
> - use pdflatex (it would consist in making a pdfdocument command). The
>   main issue is that pdflatex can only import graphics in the pdf
>   format. It can be tricky to write a latex file that can be compiled
>   for both dvi and pdf formats. I've done that once but I don't
>   remember how. I'll dig into my archives;
>
> - produce a postscript file and then translate it into PDF format
>   (using a command like ps2pdf). There might be issues with the quality
>   of the produced PDF file (issue related to true type font 1 vs. 3
>   format).

I find this command gives me fuzzy output and have not been able to
find a good way to produce readable PDF files. Also, the PDF files are huge.

This gets back to the subject of handling the axiom documentation.
Clearly we're going to have hundreds of doc files. We're going to
need a way to organize them, navigate among them, etc. PDF format
seems to make that process harder. However, PDFs are widely readable.
The way foreword (:-)) seems uncertain.