Re: [Axiom-developer] Compiling error

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Compiling error
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:04:58 -0700 (PDT)

--- Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
> Greetings, and thanks for your feedback!
>
> I've read your recent messages indicating your suspicion that a
> recent update has renderred your system unstable in some way.  I
> concur that this is likely.

I'm currently doing a more or less complete sysem rebuild (I think) in
order to be sure there aren't any hidden quirks that might have
survived.  I've encountered weird behavior like this before with the
evolution email client - it eventually went away, but I was never sure
what did it.  I'm not so patient where gcl/axiom/maxima are concerned
;-).

> Please check just in case that your new kernel is
> not doing some Fedora-type exec-shield protection.  I think this is
> not the case, as your failure should have been much earlier.

I'm 99% sure it's not the kernel - I've been using the same 2.4 kernel
ever since I finally got lmsensors working.

> The most
> recent stable 2.6.2 release candidate has an automatic workaround for
> this situation, but I'm not sure if it is in the axiom tree yet.

I doubt I'll run into that, but if I finally do a full system reinstall
I'll keep it in mind.

> In any case, should you wish to pursue, please build gcl with
> debugging (add --enable-debug to the configure command line), then
> run the lisp image in gdb (gdb obj/linux/bin/lisp, most likely), 'r'
> to start, and then (compile-file "....").  When you get the segfault,
> start by reporting a backtrace with 'bt'.

Ah - now that's a good idea :-).  I did try gdb, but forgot to do
enable debug.  No wonder there was so little information available :-).

CY