Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom Book

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom Book
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 06:56:54 -0700 (PDT)

--- David MENTRE <address@hidden> wrote:
> C Y <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I have uploaded a hacked up version of book.pamphlet and the pdf
> > created here:
> >
> > http://garnetlisp.sf.net/axiom/book.pamphlet
> > http://garnetlisp.sf.net/axiom/book.pdf
>
> Very nice work. I haven't read the whole book but the few pages I've
> looked at are very nice. And the first page is rendererd well this
> time!
> :)

Thanks :-).

> Looking at table of content, I find numbering starting at 0 strange
> (for a book ;). Tim, is it you who have introduced following latex
> code?
>
>   \pseudoChapter{Introduction to Axiom}
>
> If it's you, what is the rationale? I suppose you did not want to
> disturb original book chapter numbering? Should we use a different
> numbering style (roman?) or a different typesetting? (ok, I admit, it
> is a rather minor point)

Roman for the intro would be cool :-).  Unfortunately I have no idea
how to do that.

> Regarding book content, I would propose to add:
>
>  - a (sub)section on TeXmacs (in section 1.1) (starting an Axiom
>    session in TeXmacs, pitfalls that users have encountered
>    regarding multi-line input);

I would say that is good, but before commiting the pitfalls to paper
perhaps the thing to do is see if they can be corrected :-).

>  - a section on electronic contacts (web sites, mailing-list, wikis,
>    community, etc.);

Good - as an appendix probably?

>  - an appendix on Axiom compilation (at least pointers on the source
>    code part to look at in order to compile Axiom).

Not a bad idea - best thing to do is organize it by operating system.
I suspect the eventual Windows build docs will look rather different
from the Linux ones.

> What do you think of it? I volunteer to write the first draft of
> them.

I'd say go for it, but we'll see what Tim says :-).

CY