[Axiom-developer] Re: Quick question on the symbol issue:

From: Manuel Bronstein
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Quick question on the symbol issue:
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:29:53 +0100

Hello,

> Assuming the rather more likely scenario that the design simply did
> not intend for users to set by hand symbols beginning with % (as it
> does appear to be used as some sort of escape), the following patch
> will increment the counter as necessary to step over symbols already
> so interned:

Many thanks for your patch, which does solve the problem.
I can't remember exactly the original design decision about this,
but it was probably the case, and it's a good design to assume now anyways.

Regarding your other questions, I would pick the safe side and not
unintern previously interned symbols in resetNew()  (better to waste
indices than risk trashing a user variable). I also would not deviate
from lisp's behavior regarding GENSYM.

Best, and sorry for replying so late,

-- mb