RE: [Axiom-developer] Lulu publishing

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Lulu publishing
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:28:38 -0500

I would like to here more from subscribers to axiom-developer
about our current plans to publish a series of Axiom books
on Lulu. Tim Daly has setup the arch repository book--main--1
with 3 volumes:

 bookvol1 -- tutorial
 bookvol2 -- programming
 bookvol3 -- reference

Our goal is to get the Volume 1 out to press in Lulu as
soon as possible. 95% of this volume is complete, but it
would be great to have more proof reading and corrections
by other people.

We were also hoping to include a CDrom with volume 1, but
we received a quotation from Lulu which calls for a minimum
publishing run of 100 copies at an up front cost of about
$1,200 USD for a 250 page volume including a CDrom. So far the
limited donations to the Axiom Foundation would not let us
seriously consider this option.

---------

Here is an article about Lulu and publishing open source software:

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/11/10/2135209

Lulu.com is the brainchild of Red Hat founder Bob Young. With Lulu,
Young offers would-be publishers, whether book authors, musicians,
photographers, or artists, the opportunity to expose and sell their
work for little or no upfront investment. But Lulu.com is more than
just an on-demand publishing house. True to the open spirit, it is
also a community -- a haven where artistic people can gather to share
experiences and seek advice from one another. They can network,
looking for opportunities to collaborate and muster up creative
synergy. It is open and it is free. And now, it is for software
developers too.

Lulu this month announced http://www.lulu.com/static/pr/11_03.php
that software developers can now publish their works at Lulu.com
and sell hard copies of instruction manuals and boxed sets of
programs. This could be a boon to open source software developers
and customers alike, since fans cannot usually walk into their
local software store and pick up a copy of the latest open source
applications.

---------