[Axiom-developer] RE: windows/linux coherency

From: michel . lavaud
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: windows/linux coherency
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:39:33 +0100

Hello Bill,

Back with good ol' 33k modem...

On 20 Dec 2004 at 18:18, Page, Bill wrote:

> Yes, either alternative would be easy to implement in tm_axiom.
> Would you consider manually setting or changing an environment
> variable "too difficult" for the average Windows user?

Too difficult? No, I think (at least from 10 years experience with AsTeX) that
it's
sufficient to indicate the procedure in the user's manual and recall it
eventually in a
FAQ. The discussion list can solve last problems for those who don't read
manuals
and don't know all options of Windows. The only potential problem I would see
is to
know whether user's modifications can be harmful or not : for env vars, I think
they
can't because there is a well-defined procedure in Windows to modify them that
avoids regedit, and because TM_AXIOM is a  variable specific to AXIOM (e.g.
modifying the PATH env var could be considered as more "dangerous", as it is
shared by many other programs).

If not
> then I think that is the best way to go. I can arrange to set
> this variable to some default during installation on Windows.
> How would you control this when running Axiom directly from
> CD?

At installation time. It is possible to enter this as a new key in the
registry, or in
autoexec.bat. And if there will be an axiom.ini, it would be possible to read
it from
the installed axiom.ini.

> I agree that it is undesirable to put all of Axiom in a
> sub-directory of the TeXmacs tree.
>
> If the new tm_axiom consults the TM_AXIOM environment variable
> and finds
>
>   TM_AXIOM=texbreaker:n
>
> then it can be made to behave exactly the way the cygwin
> tm_axiom does now.

Great! I downloaded the latest version and it reads OK the parameter value.
Maybe
it would be useful to add in the doc that it is necessary to got out of TeXmacs
and
rerun it, to take into account a modification?

Unfortunately, it seems that it is still necessary that axiomsys.exe be either
in the
PATH or in the texmacs/plugins/axiom/bin directory. I succeeded in making
nevertheless Axiom run inside TeXmacs and keeping axiomsys.exe in the Axiom
tree, by adding an axiomsys.bat in the TeXmacs\plugins\axiom\bin directory,
then
changing the bat extension into exe extension, but it's a rather dirty and
temporary
hack. I think it would be better if tm_axiom could find the true binary
axiomsys.exe
from $AXIOM\bin.

I am sorry to insist on having (if possible) axiomsys.exe NOT run from the
PATH.  I
know it's rather orthogonal to the usual practice on Unixes, but on these
systems
there is a superuser that is supposed to "know" and install everything cleanly.
On
Windows, users often install themeselves, and they can install different
versions or
different distributions of a given program, so that, if several binaries with
the same
name are in the PATH, it can produce very strange results. This is a classical
problem e.g. for TeX distributions (and I solved the pb in AsTeX in this way,
so that
it is compatible with all other TeX installations, even if they use the PATH).

- For the "l" and "c" parameters in Sutor's output, these are the "left" and
"center"
parameters of the array environment. In Sutor's output, the "l" is used, but it
is
rendered centered inside TeXmacs, as if the "c" parameter was used instead, so
suspect it is a bug in TeXmacs import filter.

- For the output with nested arrays (in the example with -1/3 power), the
structure is
the following:

begin array
-
   begin array
     text
    \\
    \\
    text
  end array
text
end array

I think it ought to be either

begin array
-
   \left( begin array
     text
    \\
    \\
    text
  end array\righ)
text
end array

to be correct, and I supposed that, if the original form was intended (i.e.
with no \left(
and \right)) then probably it ought to be

begin array
-
   begin array
     text
    \\
    text
  end array
    \\
ext
end array

i.e. the second \\ in the first array would seem to be incorrectly placed.

Another reason I would suppose the original form is not what was intended : the
motivation for using a LaTeX array seems to be to break a long line into
several
small ones. So :

- if one breaks a long part into 3,
- and then adds the sequel after the block of 3 lines on the same line,

it seems rather contradictory ?  But of course, it is just a supposition.

Your last question, about the possibility to run TeXmacs + Axiom directly from
the
CD : yes, it works with apparently no problem (although I did not test it very
much).

And a last point about axiom.ts : I think there might be a problem on Windows :
the
type is still written just after the number of the formula, not on the next
line. Is your
modified axiom.ts supposed to write it on the next line, or did I understand
you
incorrectly? (sorry, I don't write from my PC, I answer just from memory - it
might be
deficient :-))

Best wishes ,
Michel