Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom/Aldor

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom/Aldor
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:30:25 +0100

Dear Peter,

this is just great stuff -- nearly... I had to try it out right away, but I
experienced two problems.

the minor one is, that )co inside axiom still does not work:

                        AXIOM Computer Algebra System
                   Version: Axiom 3.0 Beta (February 2005)
              Timestamp: Tuesday January 11, 2005 at 14:02:04
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.

   Re-reading compress.daase   Re-reading interp.daase
   Re-reading operation.daase
   Re-reading category.daase
   Re-reading browse.daase
(1) ->
(1) -> )co test.as
   Compiling AXIOM source code from file
      /home/rubey/martin/Axiom/test.as using AXIOM-XL compiler and
      options
-O -Fasy -Fao -Flsp -laxiom -Mno-AXL_W_WillObsolete -DAxiom -Y $AXIOM/algebra
      Use the system command )set compiler args to change these
      options.

   >> System error:
   NIL is not of type STRING.

protected-symbol-warn called with (NIL)
(1) -> )co test
   Compiling AXIOM source code from file
      /home/rubey/martin/Axiom/test.as using AXIOM-XL compiler and
      options
-O -Fasy -Fao -Flsp -laxiom -Mno-AXL_W_WillObsolete -DAxiom -Y $AXIOM/algebra
      Use the system command )set compiler args to change these
      options.

   >> System error:
   NIL is not of type STRING.

protected-symbol-warn called with (NIL)
(1) ->

Never mind.

Unfortunately, there is a more severe issue. I put the following simple domain
in a file "test.as" and compiled it using

aldor -O -Fasy -Fao -Flsp -laxiom -Mno-AXL_W_WillObsolete -DAxiom test.as

without any problem. There is only the warning

#1 (Warning) Deprecated message prefix: use `ALDOR_' instead of `_AXL'

but I suspect that this is of no importance.

#include "axiom.as"

Test: with { fact: PositiveInteger -> PositiveInteger }
   == add  { fact(n: PositiveInteger): PositiveInteger ==
              { n <= 1 => 1;
                res: PositiveInteger := 1;
                while n > 1 repeat {
                  res := res * n;
                  n := n-1; }
                res } }

After this I start axiom and load runtime and axextend. By the way axextend
*is* in the distribution, it's only a little hidden... There is even more
obscure stuff in theis directory, maybe it's of use to you!

                        AXIOM Computer Algebra System
                   Version: Axiom 3.0 Beta (February 2005)
              Timestamp: Tuesday January 11, 2005 at 14:02:04
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.

   Re-reading compress.daase   Re-reading interp.daase
   Re-reading operation.daase
   Re-reading category.daase
   Re-reading browse.daase
(1) ->
(1) -> )lisp (load "/home/rubey/aldor/linux/1.0.2/lib/runtime.lsp")

Value = T
(1) -> )lisp (load
"/home/rubey/axiom--main--1--patch-24/lsp/ccl/src/axbase/compiler/lib/axextend.lsp")

Value = T
(1) -> )lib test
   Reading /home/rubey/martin/Axiom/test.asy
   Test is now explicitly exposed in frame frame0
   Test will be automatically loaded when needed from
      /home/rubey/martin/Axiom/test
(1) -> )sh Test
 Test  is a domain constructor
 Abbreviation for Test is TEST
 This constructor is exposed in this frame.
 Issue )edit test.as to see algebra source code for TEST

------------------------------- Operations --------------------------------
 fact : PositiveInteger -> PositiveInteger

(1) -> fact(5)$Test

   (1)  120
                                                        Type: PositiveInteger
(2) -> fact(4)$Test

   >> System error:
   #<vector 08cf4150> is not of type LIST.

protected-symbol-warn called with (NIL)

:-(

I am already very very happy, but another patch and/or explanation would
greatly improve this...

By the way, could you explain what your patches are doing? It's just a mystery
to me! I suspect that one needs some knowledge of Aldor internals?

Thanks again,

Martin