[Axiom-developer] loop index fixnum assumption

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] loop index fixnum assumption
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:14:01 -0500

Ralf,

> Actually if you specify the upper limit then the compiler would
> likely decide that it could coerce the result to fixnum and would
     ...                couldn't ...
> choose the loop index from a different domain, using big integers.

I mistyped. As William pointed out 2^32 (4 billion) is a long time
at 6Mhz. At 2Ghz it is somewhat shorter. If you plan to do a loop
that will exceed the index you only need to specify a domain such
that the loop index operations will not overflow. Axiom can support
bignums up to the size of lisps memory so it isn't really a restriction,
just an assumption.