RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom Mathaction output emails

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom Mathaction output emails
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:28:23 -0500

On Thursday, February 10, 2005 5:38 PM Tim Daly wrote:

> We can create a mathaction mailing list easily.

Yes, true. But I don't see the point since MathAction itself
allows direct subscriptions by users which is the same thing
as creating a mailing list.

What Martin Rubey and I decided to do was to subscribe the
axiom-developer email list itself to the MathAction wiki. That
is effectively the same as subscribing everyone on the axiom-
developer email list to the wiki. I think the main reason we decided
to do this was to attempt to increase the number of people using
the wiki - to encourage them to use the IssueTracker and other
features so that bugs and useful information would not be lost
in the email "waste basket".

In retrospect this seems a little "heavy handed" to me since
many (most) people on the email list did not ask to be part
of the wiki. This is what I am beginning to think was not such
a great idea since it sometimes generates too much noise on
the email list and may actually be "scaring" some people away.

But on the other hand we do now have at least some interaction
going on via the wiki which is where we want it to be. The main
thing is that it seemed awkward to have two places (the email
list and the wiki) to subscribe and interact.