Re: [Axiom-developer] [Q] Function for testing for a partof the output?

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] [Q] Function for testing for a partof the output?
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 05:54:55 -0500

Bill's solution of course is mathematically sound if what one is looking for is
a kernel, and is preferrable. However, if one really wants to check some strings
embedded, then the following would work:

match?("*sss*",tex(ooo::TEX).1,char("*"))

where sss is what you are searching for (perhaps "texified", like \%\% for %%),
and ooo is the output of a computation. One advantage is we do not have to know
the structure of the output and so can be applied uniformly to all outputs.

There seems to be a bug with match (without the ?), which is supposed to return
the index if the string match succeeds. But

match("*to*","yorktown",char("*"))

   >> System error:
   Wildcard must be a character

protected-symbol-warn called with (NIL)

Also, the interpreter will not coerce "*" to a character.

William
---