[Axiom-developer] [#87 solve(x + 1.1, 0.001) fails] [#87 solve(x + 1.1,

From: Kostas Oikonomou
Subject: [Axiom-developer] [#87 solve(x + 1.1, 0.001) fails] [#87 solve(x + 1.1, 0.001) fails]
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:03:19 -0600

\begin{axiom}
solve(x+1.1,0.001)
\end{axiom}

> As with any software, one must learn the correct syntax of commands.  For
> someunknown reason, Axiom does not have a solve function with signature:

> {\tt solve: (Polynomial Float, Float) -> List Equation Polynomial
> Float}.However, it has

> {\tt solve: Polynomial Float->List Equation Fraction Polynomial Float}

I'm confused.  Perhaps that's because I expect Axiom to behave like other
similar software,
but what is the meaning of

solve: Polynomial Float->List Equation Fraction Polynomial Float

when we're trying to solve an equation with real coefficients?  Doesn't an
accuracy need
to be specified?  (and there doesn't seem to be a default).

Also, while solve(x+1.1) "works", so to speak, solve(x^2 - 1.234) returns a
warning.

Very bewildering to a beginning user!

My impression, from looking at the algebra library, is that Axiom does not
appear to handle
(i.e. solve) polynomials with real coefficients.  It produces them as results,
but doesn't accept
them as inputs. Is  this basically correct?

                                        Kostas

--
forwarded from http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/address@hidden