[Axiom-developer] Axiom does not configure/build on OpenBSD

From: Henry Lenzi
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Axiom does not configure/build on OpenBSD
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 00:25:04 -0300

Hello ---

 Axiom fail to configure and build on OpenBSD.
 AFAIK, OpenBSD would have all the requirements, with the exception of
GCL, which is a Lisp build from C code (so it should be no problem
/and/ its included in Axiom anyways): gcc, GNUMake, etc. It's even
possible to have Linux emulation (with RedHat 8.0 binaries, as of now,
or FreeBSD 4.0 library emulation).
 I'm not yet a good Unix, just a newbie, but from what I've seen, you
make too much assumptions about a Linux system, instead of just
assuming Unix (a bigger set, include Linux).
 Why does the configure script, for instance, bork with a Unix that's
not one of those included? I don't see anything in the Makefile that
implies that using system() is a necessary condition. I might be
wrong, though :-)
 I would like to help having Axiom on yet-another-open-source-unix, a
BSD at least. I like OpenBSD. It's a very secure system, very well
programmed (fewer mistakes in C than average) and it's growing in
packages and ports of applications. What can I do to help?

 Best regards,

   Henry Lenzi