Re: [Axiom-developer] hyperdoc source links are often wrong

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] hyperdoc source links are often wrong
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 03:57:09 -0400

Dear Bill:

Thanks for your comments.

Perhaps it's a good idea to associate each constructor with its own spad file,
but I am not convinced. Historically, I believe that is not the case. Many
authors write one large spad file containing multiple constructors (related, of
course) -- one reason may be to save duplication of macros. It is also easier to
follow a constructor if related ones are nearby. When extracting spad files for
individual constructors, care should be taken to include all global macros in
the file.

The old (NAG) hyperdoc is able to jump to the constructor even though there may
be several in the same file, much like the local html name=xx and #xx
references. This feature is no longer available in the new hyperdoc (at least
until the files are broken up, which kind of defeats the purpose of Tim's
reorganization). So perhaps a solution would be that the hyperdoc links are not
file names, but are global name tags, by which the location of a constructor
(file and tag) can be obtained from a database or table.

William