Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom graphics and porting

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom graphics and porting
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:06:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- address@hidden wrote:

> Third I tried to use McClim. I want to use a lisp-based front end
> and this was my best hope. Unfortunately I was unable to get it to
> work.

Was this a GCL limitation?  Did you happen to save a record of the
issues you ran into?  I doubt I can succeed where you weren't able to
but it would be interesting to take a look at.  (Sorry, I think I might
have asked this before but I can't find the reply.)

> I'm unhappy about the need for Java and would much prefer McClim.
>
> GCL does not seem to handle run-process correctly so I've been using
> CLISP. The browser and the graphics run in their own process anyway
> so Axiom under GCL can talk to McClim under CLISP.

So run-process is the man McCLIM issue?  I've been hoping as GCL gets
closer to ANSI problems with McCLIM would dimish, but perhaps there
will be some more work to do.  Of course, this still leaves writing the
Windows backend, or if QT comes through perhaps a QT4 backend will do.
Possibly the attempts to write a MacOSX backend (Beagle) will be a good
starting point.  (Me disgustedly ponders the irony of having to get a
Windows box at some point after all ;-).

CY