RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: axiom porting

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: axiom porting
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:49:16 +1000

Hi Camm.

| > That is actually very interesting.  Note however that GTK on
| Windows is  not
| > as stable as it is on Unix.
| >

| OK, but how bad is bad?

Here are some examples.

Apart from the slowness of launching GIMP (by far the slowest to launch on
my system) as the vast quantity of Unix emulation dlls and other GTK
machinery loads, common items such as the file selectors are completely
foreign to Windows users and considerably less usable than their Windows
equivalents.  Occasionally one ends up with menus which somehow become
detached from the parent program and which can't be closed and which
simultaneously lock the parent so that the program has to be killed through
the process manager - perhaps fixed now, I am certainly out of date, but
then again, what a hassle to continually update and harmonise stuff I don't
want to know about.

|  And how temporary might this be?

Who would know?  Probably a long time.  The only major GTK applications I'm
aware of on Windows are Glade and the GIMP which means that a large segment
of GTK is presumably largely untested on Windows.

Here is a link:

  http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/

Added to this is the issue of potential clashes between various application
builds and the currently installed version of GTK, which is the reason

|  Anyway to
| try a quick glade example on Windows to get a 30min idea of where the
| issues are?

Not at the moment as I suspect it will clash with my version of GTK and
GIMP!  Perhaps over the weekend.  Hopefully you can see roughly where it's
at from the comments above.

Although Glade definitely sounds like a very big plus, it also seems there
is a lot more work involved with GTK than just getting GCL/Tk up on Windows
both for developers and end users.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.