RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: axiom porting

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: axiom porting
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 14:00:02 +1000

Actually, I just gave in to temptation again and installed the latest
Windows GDK; Glade is a bit of a mess.  Background windows pop up when the
mouse moves in other windows, menus are left hanging etc. My suspicion is
that this is caused by trying to map the GTK signal structure onto the
Windows event loop system.

| Amen.  KDE users on Linux have been making fun of GTK's file selection
| for a very long time - it's improving in the most recent versions but I
| still find it a tad iffy at times.

Even on Linux running on a really fast box X always feels slow to me after
Windows.

| > The only major GTK applications I'm aware of on Windows are Glade
| > and the GIMP which means that a large segment of GTK is presumably
| > largely untested on Windows.
|
| This is my sense too - I know a few other GTK applications have been
| ported but I do not have the sense it is a major movement.  Hence my
| excitement at GPL QT4, which up until version 4 was commercial ONLY on
| Windows - indicating it must work reasonably well.  With any luck an
| McCLIM backend to that could be made to work well and reliably on both
| platforms.

If someone was planning (I'm certainly not) to write a cross platform
backend to McClim I personally would be telling them to use WxWidgets, which
has been connected up very nicely in both the Scheme and Haskell worlds and
is much lighter weight than GTK while retaining good cros-platform
performance and appearance.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.