[Axiom-developer] Re: different axiom versions on mathaction

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: different axiom versions on mathaction
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 16:26:21 +0200

Page, Bill writes:
 > > for version in versionlist
 > >   axiom--version       (start axiom)
 > >   for file in filelist
 > >     case type(file) of
 > >       axiom: )re file
 > >        spad: )co file
 > >       aldor: )co file
 > >   )qu
 > >
 > > Would this be doable?
 >
 > Well, I think what you wrote above would amount to repeating all n commands
 > m times, once for each axiom--version.

Yes, should read

 > But when designing the page the author would have to keep in mind that each
 > version change results in complete loss of context.

Yes, this is obvious. It's just a change as changing between reduce and axiom.

 > The other thing to understand is that stopping and starting Axiom sessions
 > is much more expensive in computer time than actually doing most
 > calculations! The more version switches the longer the author will have to
 > wait when they click 'Save'.

Yes, but this wouldn't really matter, since it is supposed to be used only to
document old behaviour. So, I think that two things apply:

* usually there will be only one or two versions used within one page. (On
  IssueTracker two or maybe three, otherwise one)

* when several versions are used within one page, the page is very likely to be
  rather static, i.e., changes will be posted only rarely.

If you could implement this behaviour, I'd be very grateful.

Martin