Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: axiomui graphics

From: Kai Kaminski
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: axiomui graphics
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 12:11:26 +0200

Hi Martin!

Martin Rubey <address@hidden> writes:

>  > The files 1.svg, 2.svg and 3.svg contain the SVG output from AxiomUI that
> is
>  > used to display the plots in your browser window. They were also used to
>  > generate the three PNG files with ImageMagick (convert foo.svg
>  > foo.png). Please download them and load them from your harddisk in your
>  > browser (loading them directly off my web site might not work, because my
>  > provider is too stupid to send the correct content type). If they don't
>  > display correctly then there is probably a problem with your browser's SVG
>  > support. All three files are valid SVG 1.1 according to the W3C validator
>  > and ImageMagick, Safari and Firefox (Deer Park 2 for Linux) display them
>  > correctly.
>
> I only have Mozilla (Konqueror doesn't work at all, as I reported earlier on),
> and rendering the svg files from your website results in something that looks
> quite like your plots, just using ASCII art...
So they look a very different from the PNG files, I suppose? Do you
like the PNG plots or don't you like them either. The reason I ask is
that it might be reasonably easy to send PNG to the browser instead or
provide that as an option at least. In fact PNG support would be nice
anyway, since then we could display Axiom plots in Emacs.

> Don't know what to do, but I think I'll just wait until Konqueror is
> supported,
> since I don't want to use Mozilla anyway. I was using
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030630
> Adobe SVG Viewer plug-in version 3.01x88
There are two potential problems I can think of. First of all SVG
support is still somewhat shaky in Mozilla and Firefox, so you might
have to use a development build. I wouldn't recommend this, though,
since Firefox 1.5 is due in a few days. The second problem is that
with some Mozilla/Firefox builds one has to enable SVG support
first. To do that, load about:config and look for an option like
svg_enabled and set it to true.

Thanks for your patience,
Kai