Re: [Axiom-developer] Function definition crashes Axiom

From: Kai Kaminski
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Function definition crashes Axiom
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:50:38 +0200

Bill Page <address@hidden> writes:

> After modifying the first two lines of the Makefile and
> Makefile.pamphlet to correspond to the location of where
> notangle was built by the Axiom build like this:
>
> TANGLE=/home/wspage/axiom--main--1/mnt/fedora3/bin/lib/notangle -t8
> WEAVE=/home/wspage/axiom--main--1/mnt/fedora3/bin/lib/NOWEave -delay
>
> I then did
>
>   make
>
> The result was the following error:
[non-existant package AXCOM]

Of course, I shouldn't have hard-coded the paths and I fixed that
now.

The problem with the AXCOM package happened, because when you called
'make', it tried to execute the following rule (the first rule of this
kind):

axiom-com.lisp: axiom-com.lisp.pamphlet
                @${TANGLE} axiom-com.lisp.pamphlet > axiom-com.lisp

This, of course, failed, because ${TANGLE} couldn't be found. But at
that time 'make' (the shell, in fact) had already created
axiom-com.lisp as an empty file. When you called 'make' again with the
paths fixed but without calling 'make clean' first, the package AXCOM
did indeed not exist, but the file axiom-com.lisp did, so it wasn't
rebuild. Hence the solution is to delete axiom-com.lisp (or call 'make
clean') and then call 'make all' again

Kai