[Axiom-developer] Re: [SIGSAM_OFFICERS] ACM/ISSAC Active Journal

From: Emil Volcheck
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [SIGSAM_OFFICERS] ACM/ISSAC Active Journal
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 01:44:57 -0400

Tim,

I like both ideas: a potential journal as well as for the
ISSAC CD.  ACM has the wherewithal to launch a journal like
this, but we'd have to do prototypes like you suggest.
Possible starting points are the ISSAC Proceedings, or
a special issue of either Communications in Computer
Algebra or Transactions on Mathematical Software.

How would you propose to handle submissions that include
a Mathematica or Maple literate program?  Should we ask
commercial vendors to include trial versions?  Or perhaps
we could link this to Manuel Bronstein's idea of a SIGSAM
server running commercial and free computer algebra software
that members could connect to.

How do you think we should start this?  What's the first step?

The idea of a journal accepting software as well as articles
has been around for a while.  I remember when I was at
RISC-Linz over ten years ago, people were talking about getting
the JSC to accept and test programs to accompany articles.

--Emil

--
Emil Volcheck
address@hidden