[Axiom-developer] Re: download links and server names (was: axiom--GUI--

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: download links and server names (was: axiom--GUI--1)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:19:31 -0700

Page, Bill address@hidden wrote:
> Maybe you should use a smarter browser? ;) FireFox doesn't do
> that to me.

It was the missing image that was causing the reflow.  (I am using
firefox ;)

> Do you mean decide on "wiki" or "portal", i.e. Plone? I have also
> had this discussion with Martin Rubey. I have argued that these
> are two quite different web services. The wiki is open and public
> while the portal has more controlled access for content creation.
> It is possible to create both public and private wiki pages in Plone
> and there are other features of the portal such as bibliography,
> event notices, etc.

If you really like plone, why not move all wiki pages into plone?

> Of course the user interface for the wiki is much simpler than the
> portal. So far the portal has not had much use although nearly 60
> people have registered to use it. But then again, only a very few
> people have even edited any wiki pages. So I guess that's how it
> goes in the "collaborative web" :-(

I like the improvements you've made on the wiki a lot.  I would add that
we should separate the "discussion" page from the wiki page itself.
(Just make a [Page Discussion] wiki page where emails and comments go)
ZWiki collects page clutter quickly since comments get added to the same
page, then everyone is afraid to delete them, and there is no automated
method to archive them.

If we all prefer the ZWiki interface though, then we need to add user
login.  This product looks good:
    http://www.zope.org/Members/levi/SessionUserFolder

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen
    these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding
    fathers used in the great struggle for independence." --Charles A. Beard