[Axiom-developer] RE: DistributedExpression (was: How can I get every te

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: DistributedExpression (was: How can I get every term of an expression ?)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:24:03 +0200

Page, Bill writes:
 > On Wednesday, September 21, 2005 8:52 AM Martin Rubey wrote:
 > > Well, output is easily changed.
 >
 > Yes, you are right. As usual, I just wish we had more
 > documentation: both user documentation (how-to) and
 > conceptual documentation (why).
 >
 > Axiom's approach to output as a coercion to the type OutputForm is radically
 > different than any other computer algebra system that I know.

Yes.

 > There is an attempt also in Axiom to do the same with input (InputForm and
 > SExpressions etc.)

I think that this attempt is doomed to fail. Still it may be useful, at least
for debugging.

 > Understanding how to use types and domains in Axiom is both "90% of the
 > problem" and "90% of the reasons why one might want to use Axiom in the
 > first place". We need to write more about this ...

No. There is enough written about it (in the Aldor User Guide). A short
introductory text is in the Axiom book.

 > But I think there is much more to this concept and that the current Aldor
 > and SPAD syntax does not sufficiently highlight the important place that it
 > holds. The current syntax, i.e. 'rep' and 'per' as macros and 'Rep' as a
 > distinquished name for a local domain, seems to treat representation on a
 > par with other programming constructs.

And this is a good thing, it seems to me.

 > I just spent a couple of hours trying to add a new operation called 'terms'
 > to the DistributedExpression domain. The idea was that it should return a
 > List of Expressions in analogy with the 'monomials' operator of POLY, but I
 > kept getting hung up on vague SPAD compiler messages and picky details for
 > explicitly specifying domains... After all this time I still do not feel
 > fluent in SPAD/Aldor but for some reason I continue to admire it greatly
 > when I see something that works! :)

If you send me your code and the error message you got (the latter for
cross-checking), I'll try to help.

 > Yes, I do agree that "cosmetics" is useful. In fact I have been know to
 > claim that "notation is (almost) everything" in mathematics

NO, NO, NO. Good notation is important, and I'd agree if you'd say that
mathematics builds on good notation. But it's not nearly "almost everything".

What (good) notation provides is a means to make your ideas and proofs clear
and enable others to follow them. The idea comes before the notation. Often
even the proof comes before the notation.

Martin