Re: [Axiom-developer] MathAction to email list connection

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] MathAction to email list connection
Date: 25 Nov 2005 14:13:50 +0100

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

> Page, Bill wrote:

> > Perhaps this is a good time to suggest that we disconnect the
> > axiom-developer email list from the Axiom Wiki web site?
>
> Good idea. I usually just remove those emails.

Well, I regard these emails primarily as notices that something was changed. At
least the issuetracker notices should get sent to Axiom-developer, since I
suspect that otherwise some people will not notice that a bug report has been
filed.

Apart from these, there are very few messages sent out usually. (Although I
admit, I did not count.)

> A much better idea would be to post a FAQ every month. Or just a link to a
> FAQ at MathAction.

But not on axiom-developer! If, then on axiom-mail or axiom-math. Please keep
axiom-developer as much for developers as possible. And do direct people who
do not want to assist with development to axiom-math.

> However, I don't think that it is actually the amount of text which is a
> problem, it is rather its organisation. I have already agreed that ALLPROSE is
> not (yet) good in providing such an approach, but it is not finished anyway.

I very much hope that "not (yet)" will vanish eventually.

> What I would dream of is ONE main entry point into the AXIOM world. At the
> moment I could see several.
>    1. Top-level Makefile

Usually I don't look at the MakefĂ­le, but rather at README, INSTALL, FAQ or the
like

>    2. http://www.axiom-developer.org
>    3. http://www.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/MathAction

As most of you know, I would like to see the wiki to be identical to the axiom
world, and, in particular, a superset of the

>    4. The Axiom Book project

and I hope that ALPROSE (!) will accomplish that in the near future.

Did you have success with tex4ht?

Martin