RE: [Axiom-developer] PDFs and dvis loaded into Portal, but need some ki

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] PDFs and dvis loaded into Portal, but need some kind of review?
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:22:34 -0500

On Tuesday, November 29, 2005 9:40 AM C Y wrote:

> I uploaded a variety of pdf and dvi files into my account on
> portal.axiom-developer.org, but apparently they need to be
> "published" to be visible to the world.  I "submitted" them
> but I have no idea who is supposed to be on the other end to
> complete the process.

That would be me. It could also be any other registered user of
the Axiom Portal who elected to be a "Reviewer". If anyone else
wants this job, I would be glad to add that capability to your
Axiom Portal user id.

What this means is that if someone submits a document for
publication on the Axiom Portal, those users who are designated
as "reviewers" will receive a notice when then log in to the
portal that some document is ready for their review. If the
reviewer decides that it is ok, she can approve it and then it
will appear as a *public* document. Or they can reject it, it
which case it goes back to the submitter with a reason for the
rejection and the cycle can start again.

> Also, seeing as these are public drafts and technology tests
> rather than final copies, I'm a little worried by the "publish"
> terminology - it sounds rather final.  I'm assuming (hoping)
> this step is simply to keep people from uploading copyrighted
> work and other things that are inappropriate?

Yes, that is basically correct. Documents on the Axiom portal
can have the following states:

                      new

                      \|/    (submit)           (accept)
     private <----> visible <-------->submitted --------> published
                             (reject)
                                                (retract)
                            <----------------------------

By default all new documents are "visible" which means that
if you are logged in to the Axiom Portal with a valid user
id, then you will be allowed to view the document. Only the
"owner" of the document will be allowed to change it.

The owner of the document can "submit" it for publication.
When a "reviewer" decides to "accept" the document then it
will become "published". "Published" documents are accessible
to everyone who accesses the site whether they are logged in
or not.

The owner of a document can also decide to make a document
"private" in which case only they can view it.

> Anyway, I'll post again with links if and when the process
> is complete.

If you really intended to make this draft publicly accessible
to everyone even if they are not registered users of the Axiom
Portal, then I will approve it. Please let me know. And of
course let me know if you would like me to explain this
process again if anything is unclear.

Thanks for trying this!